Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

WHY I CHOOSE THE MORMON WAY OF LIFE


by: Norberto Betita


Myself, my two-year-old daughter, my wife
and the missionary who baptized us.
The background is the home where we were found by
the missionaries
I still can vividly remember the day when I was sitting right on the slightly elevated door of my parents-in-law’s humble home spending a day off from work in the islands. I was enjoying the cold northern breeze which my father-in-law termed as Siberian wind. The setting sun had slowly dimmed the light of day welcoming the cold night of mid December in the year 1976. The door in an extension structure used by my parents-in-law as storage of fire woods and farm products was partly opened. Suddenly a large American young man in white shirt and tie peeked at the partially opened door and after the usual afternoon greetings introduced himself and his companion as missionaries and that they have a message for family happiness. I was kind of fascinated by the phrase 'family happiness' for their introduction, so I invited them in. My wife Letty is kind of hesitant because she is not so much adept in speaking the English language. For two months we were taught and eventually accepted the challenge for baptism. We were told that we have to fast for two meals before the baptismal day. We did, and were immersed at the beach in Surigao City, Philippines on February 12, 1977.

My family as we are at present
Since then I started my Mormon way of life. As a new member I have much to sacrifice---a good paying job in the islands, my 12 cups of coffee a day, 10% of my income, fasting and fast offerings every first Sunday and others. It was good though that I have no other vices but coffee. As a Mormon father I am required to lead my family to regularly study the scriptures, conduct family home evening every Monday and have personal and family prayers. I was ordained to the different offices of the Holy Priesthood after proving my worthiness. As a priesthood holder I have to serve in different callings in the church, I have to be worthy to perform priesthood ordinances especially for my family. My worthiness as a Priesthood holder requires that I uphold the standards of the Church. I have to raise our children in the nurture of the Gospel and lead them to a life of righteousness. I have to make sure that my family attends church each Sunday to worship the Lord. In all these and others, I have to be an equal partner of my wife. We have to “...serve God with all our heart, might, mind and strength.” (Doctrine & Covenants 4: 2.) These may not be compulsory but we learned that it is how a Mormon way of life should be. I learned a little later that Mormon is a compound word meaning “more good”. So in essence I had accepted a more good way of life.

My grand family
The Mormon way is so much different from the world’s norms of life and morality. We are taught the principles of provident living, selflessness, total fidelity in marriage, service to others, obedience, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. “We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers and magistrates in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.” (Articles of Faith 12.) “We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men...We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endure many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.” (Articles of Faith 13.) Indeed, the Mormon way is sometimes absurd and preposterous for those who do not understand. 

My friends and fellow workers found my obedience to the word of wisdom---no coffee, no wine or alcoholic beverages, no smoking, no cola drinks as kind of bizarre. During parties they would make a mock and scorn of me by putting empty bottles of wine in front of me and taking pictures. But I stood by what I believe. I am grateful though that eventually they seemed to realize that what I believe is right and most of them slowly discontinued their vices.

With my youngest grandchild
The most that I love in the Mormon way of life is our deep concern for family life. We are taught that “...the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally. Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives---mothers and fathers---will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.” (The Family: A Proclamation to the World.) In my family relationships I tried to live by such principles. The accompanying challenges are great, but at least we have made it a point to have the characters of our children founded on correct principles. As they grow in years forward to their future they are to exercise their own agency or freedom of choice. I believe that the Mormon way is a perfect way, but the Mormons are not perfect, “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23.) However, "We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel." (Articles of Faith 3.)

I retired from employment at age 56, but the Mormon way of life teaches that in the Kingdom of God there is no such thing as retirement. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, “Now, a word to us seasoned brethren: retirement is not part of the Lord’s plan of happiness. There is no sabbatical or retirement program from Priesthood responsibilities---regardless of age or physical capacity.” I have to continue to serve and continue to strengthen my family and help build the kingdom of God.


With children and in-laws and foster daughter
Notwithstanding all the difficulties that seemed to be a part of the Mormon way of life, I tried to live by it. It is now more than three decades since the Mormon way was introduced to me and I felt blessed of having it as a way of life.

On the night before my 60th birthday, I was taking an ascending trail beside a treacherous hill. I recognized the danger, nevertheless, I continued, making my every step sure and tightly grasping cogon grasses that could hold me from a possible misstep. The climb seemed to become even more difficult as I neared the summit. At the end of the trail people were telling me why I took the dangerous footpath, while there was provided one easy and more comfortable way. I continued my journey and found a large unpaved road and trailed on. Along the wide and dirty road I observed large and spacious houses under construction and still uninhabited. But as I continued on the roadway, I found that the end was dark and dreary. I tracked my way back and found a narrow downhill trail with steps paved in concrete giving me an easier way back home. What a joy for me to find my family rejoicing right in front of our home upon my safe return. Then the dawn of my 60th birthday awakened me from such a meaningful dream. My ailing body called for a physical necessity. And as I returned to our bedroom, my dearly beloved wife greeted me with a very tight embrace that I could feel her eternal love and divinely driven affection. Sleep did no longer interrupt my serious reflections of the possible message of the dream. Then I found myself enjoying the continuing crows of roosters in the neighborhood, until I saw the glimmering light of dawn peeped by our window.

I arose in the stillness of daybreak to witness outside the exquisite beauty of the blue eastern sky for a memory on my 60th birthday. The glistening light of hill-covered sunrise reflected the eastern sky creating colors of reddish orange upon the thinly spread cirrus and cirrostratus clouds, seemingly sending for me the sweetest smile from heaven. The peace and tranquility of the new day; the serenity of the trees around our home and on the hill slowly waving its twigs and leaves; and the sweet songs of little humming birds happily flying from tree to tree seemed to provide for me added hope and continued reassurance that life will still be good despite adversities and trials. I was given an inspired meaning of my dream.

Indeed, how wonderful to live the Mormon way---the more good way of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment