Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

GENERAL CONFERENCE BROADCAST---TEN HOURS OF SPIRITUAL FEAST

by: Norberto G. Betita

Weeks before the scheduled General Conference broadcasts on October 12-13, 2013, I had been preparing myself and my family on what we needed to do, especially that the schedules required that we have to utilize our breaks as lunchtime. Although I have access to the internet for the conference proceedings, I feel it better to view the messages in a worship area in the church as previously advised by the leadership, to better feel the spirit of the conference messages.  I have to be at the church at 8:00 in the morning for the Priesthood Session. I arranged with my wife to bring my lunch at church at 10:30AM in time for the Saturday Morning Session of the conference at 11:00AM in which she would also be attending with the rest of the family. Other members, I observed have taken their lunch during the break after the Saturday Morning Session at 1:00PM. After which we again have to sit for another two hours session of the conference at 2:00PM.

On Sunday, October 13, all the family prepared to attend the Sunday Morning Session together at 9:00-11:00AM. We have to bring with us our food and dinner utensils. After the morning session, we dined together as if in a picnic in one of the rooms in the church, so as other members. Then we viewed the last 2-hour concluding session of the conference. For me that was exactly ten hours of feasting upon the words of God through His servants. He said, “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my words shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.” (Doctrine & Covenants 1:38.)

As it was with the many other conferences I had watched, I felt this last conference very spiritual. In all five of the conference sessions, I did experience my bosom burn and my tears freely flow as I perceived the spirit of the Lord in the messages that seemed to have been personally directed to me and my family. My stamina and patience remained ever vibrant throughout the whole ten hours of viewing.  The spiritual messages seemed to have filled my soul with greater view of the rich and hopeful promises which God made to the faithful.  

The chapel area is dark and I am not a fast writer, so whatever important thoughts I heard and which seemed to affect me spiritually, I immediately wrote in my conference notes. From the message of Elder Robert D. Hales I penned these words: “The greatest blessing comes after the conference is over.” Based on this short note, I checked from lds.org, and found the exact words: “The greatest blessings of general conference come to us after the conference is over. Remember the pattern recorded frequently in scripture:  we gather to hear the words of the Lord, and we return to our homes to live them.” From all my short notes as directed by the Spirit I tried to review each from the actual messages and I am taught and have learned even better.

On Monday immediately following the General Conference Broadcast, we have our family home evening utilized to review with the family all our notes together of the conference. We found that we have some common notes. We usually do this to make sure that the conference messages are given more emphasis in our individual and family life.  I rehearsed with the family the message of Elder L. Tom Perry during the Priesthood Session when he related the story he had as a primary student and his teacher taught them that “...memorizing the Articles of Faith would mean nothing more than a lot of words unless we understand the doctrine and principles contained in them.” Some of my grandchildren and foster daughter already memorized the Articles of Faith and I encouraged them to live those eternal principles that they have long since stored in their minds and to share them with those of their associates.

In my notes from the message of President Dieter F. Uchtdorf during the Priesthood session, I wrote from what my mind could hold and put pen to paper, “Even when we think we cannot rise up, there is still hope.” “Our destiny is not measured by the number of times we stumble, but by the number of times we rise up.” “Satan’s way is to offer us counterfeits of happiness and joy.”

From the message of President Henry B. Eyring, I penned these words as he enumerated three assurances to priesthood bearers: “First, the Lord will give you if you ask. Second, He would provide others. Third, the Lord will provide Samaritans.” Then he also said, “The greater the sacrifice, the greater the compensation from the Lord.” These are short cuts to what has been actually spoken, yet the message is to me very clear and unmistakable.

In his concluding message during the Priesthood session I took short notes from the words of President Thomas S. Monson, “Home teaching is a divine service, a divine call.” Then he quoted Abraham Lincoln which I could not transcribe from my notes, and which later search through lds.org was found to read: “If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend.”

In my regular sized notebook my conference notes from the prophets and apostles and other general authorities cover 19 full pages. I have some of these notes checked with lds.org for the perfect and exact phrases and posted and shared the quotes on my Face Book status. Indeed, I found the words of Elder Robert D. Hales to be true as he declared, “Through conferences our faith is fortified and our testimonies deepened. And when we are converted, we strengthen each other to stand strong amid the fiery darts of these last days.” The messages were as spiritual food which nourishes our souls. I am truly energized and my spirit filled to overflowing by the TEN HOURS OF SPIRITUAL FEAST with the servants of God.  

In the Saturday Morning Session of the conference President Thomas S. Monson quoted the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., “After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel.” The phrase was part of the opening message of the prophet, but it seemed to be a fitting finale and endorsement to all that had been said during the ten hours of General Conference, and a most appropriate reminder for us to share God’s eternal plan of happiness to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment