Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

I AM A MEMBER MISSIONARY OF THE LDS CHURCH


by: Norberto Betita

Every member a missionary, this is how we are taught in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that is how I regard myself. I and my wife should have the time and opportunity to serve a full-time mission as mature couple, but our resources do not warrant. I am grateful though that I still have the privilege to be a “member missionary” through the internet and the social media. I thought that this is even better because it covers the vast areas where internet and social media are available, and I would be able to extend my preaching of the gospel to a vast throng of people who may be interested to listen to the truth and be taught the message of salvation. I felt at this time that I should be bold enough to share the gospel message in response to the Lord’s instruction: ‘Go ye into the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16:15.) “Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor. That  “...their sins” be “upon their own heads.” (Doctrine & Covenants 88:81-82.) I have come to the realization that to neglect such an admonition is to put my own salvation in peril. To paraphrase the words of Pres. Spencer W. Kimball, “I am convinced that I will be accountable to God for the people whom I might have saved have I done my duty.”

I know I will face some challenges as the full-time missionaries experience in the field, but I am calm for like Paul of old, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.” (Romans 1:16.)  Each of God’s children will be given the opportunity to hear the message of salvation; each should have to know of Christ and His Atonement; each should understand that the”work and ...glory” of God is to “bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.’ (Moses 1:39.)  Every son or daughter of God should know that He wanted to “have all men to be saved” (1 Timothy 2:4); for “the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.” (Doctrine & Covenants 18:10.)  
  
As I attempt to take responsibility to share the gospel, I treasure and hold dear God’s sobering promise, “ye shall go forth in the power of my Spirit...lifting up your voices as with the sound of a trump, declaring my word like unto angels of God.” (Doctrine & Covenants 42:6.) How I hope that by such compelling assurance I may have the faith, courage and perseverance of the Apostle Paul who when summoned into the royal hall of King Agrippa, in bonds, declared with power about his “heavenly vision”. He boldly told the King that by his preaching the Jews “went about to kill” him. He declared with clarity “that Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead.” To which Festus, one of the king’s noble men, who knew Paul as a man of great knowledge, “said with a loud voice...much learning doth made thee mad.” Yet still Paul bravely answered that he is “not mad, but speak forth the words of truth and soberness, for the King knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely.”  Then standing with angelic zeal, fearless and ever taller in bonds, Paul questioned the King, “King Agrippa believest thou the prophets?” Perhaps the King should have been choked by such boldness of a man and prisoner in chain as to ask him a question that he failed to utter a moments reply, hence, Paul answered his question in behalf of the King, “I know that thou believest.”  To which the King “said unto Paul, almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.” Then in words attuned to the Spirit and perhaps in a tone full of humility and gentleness Paul replied, “I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day...except these bonds.” (Acts 26: 19-29.) Such is and should be the boldness of the ambassadors of the Living Christ.

I may not have the kind of faith, courage, perseverance, and powerful testimony as Paul had. I may not have the opportunity to speak before a King or of people in prominence. But the words I should share, the testimony I have to bear are so much the same as those words which the Apostle Paul, and the rest of the prophets and apostles both of old and in these last days of the restoration of the Gospel, and all the missionaries  now serving in this modern world. I should echo the words in Matthew 24:14: “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; then shall the end come.” And so like the Apostle Paul I would like to declare with boldness through the written media the message of the gospel with hopes that each letter and word shall spread in the power of God’s Spirit and touch and trigger each heart within reach to come unto Christ and partake of the joy and happiness that the gospel brings.

I profess not to be perfect for I do have many of the weaknesses of the flesh. I have my own failures and sorrows, depressions and despairs, faults and mistakes, sicknesses and afflictions, and the rest of adversities common to man. But I am so much grateful for the best understanding of the infinite purpose of trials and tribulations through the teachings of the gospel. Therefore, notwithstanding the calamities of my life, I find real joy and gladness in receiving the ordinances of the gospel of salvation and the hopeful promise of a glorious resurrection. As the Apostle Peter declared, “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you. But rejoice, in as much as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.” (1 peter 4:12-13.) Therefore, I take responsibility to share the message of salvation to my brothers and sisters, friends and neighbors, and all other sons and daughters of God, for “the redemption of their soul is precious.” (Psalms 49:8.) And that by so “labouring with” my “might their blood might not come upon” my “garments; otherwise their blood would come upon” my” garments, and” I “would not be found spotless at the last day.” (Jacob 1:19.)

The Lord promised the prophet Joseph Smith. “Behold, I will hasten my work in its time.” (Doctrine and Covenants 88:73.) The Lord’s promised time has come and the work of salvation is now hastening on. The time prophesied and declared by the prophet Abinadi in the Book of Mormon has now come to pass, “when all shall see the salvation of the Lord; when every nation, kindred, tongue, and people shall see eye to eye.” (Mosiah 16:1.) The miracle of the computer age provides the fulfilment of this prophecy. The internet, the social media and other sites are now accessible to almost everyone to read and hear the message of the salvation of God. The wonders of the Skype provide the opportunity for the servants of God, even the missionaries to talk with earnest investigators of the gospel face to face and eye to eye.

The call to “go forth among all nations” (Doctrine and Covenants 38:33,) can now be accomplished even right in front of your computer, where signals are transmitted throughout the world utilizing the atmospheric elements eternally provided by the all-knowing God for the use of man and for His divine purposes.  What remains then is the question of Paul, “How shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” (Romans 10:14.)

For this purpose, I voluntarily answer the call to preach and therefore extend my sincere invitation to everyone near and far and to whom my words are shown and magnified in the computer to listen to our missionaries. If you are interested, send us your address and we will send them right at your doorstep and in your homes. If you feel you could not be reached physically, comment on this message and we will have the missionaries teach you through the Skype, chat room, internet, blogs. Come and let us reason together and answer life’s most fundamental questions: Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going after this life is over?

No matter how down you are; no matter how difficult your circumstances, the hand of the Lord is right at your elbow as he extends His invitation to you, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 28:28-30.) To those who are in affluence and overflowing with earthly abundance, the Lord even offers a propelling promise and invitation; “distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.” (Luke 18:22.)




No comments:

Post a Comment