Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

I LOVE LDS MISSIONARIES


by: Norberto Betita

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I have been associated with several missionaries who served in Surigao City, Philippines. Some of them may have already been forgotten, but many of the memories of their services remained fresh in my mind. I am indeed grateful for the wonderful experiences and spiritual upliftment which I received from those missionaries during my early years in the church.

I am particularly grateful to Elder Robert Sherwin Allred who brought us into the Church. As a sincere expression of my love and gratitude for him, I named my only son Robert Sherwin after that young man, who take time to peep by our partly opened door to find me and introduced the gospel message to my family. I had been trying to find him in the internet and other social network to tell him that we remained accounted in the church. And my son who is now 33 years old bears his name with honor, serving a full-time mission and currently the branch president of our branch for more than 5 years.

I still remember Elder Wells, Elder Hansen, Elder Hancey, Elder Hubbard, Elder Rader, Elder Yao, Elder Portado, Elder Torres, Elder Baligod, Elder Hans, Elder De Leon, Elder Teh, whom I have played basketball with during their preparation days.  My memory also included Elder Glory, Elder Dredge and Elder Chadwick. I also run with one missionary, whose name I now forgot, in the athletic oval for several laps. He should have been a U.S.A. track and field national qualifier for the Olympics, but instead choose to be a missionary.

I am reminded of Elder Dredge, a wrestler and American football player, who went to our home wet and dirty reporting that he fell into the muddy water when the foot bridge in a squatter area going to their investigator broke.   He enjoyed such mission experience.

As a new convert, I was with Elder Allred and his companion as fellowshipper. As we approached the door suddenly a large dog jumped and Elder Allred immediately grabbed me. Good that the dog was tied. The missionaries had many similar experiences in the field.

Elder Michael Teh is now a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. Before he left for transfer, he left a picture with a dedication at the back which is very soul uplifting and service inspiring. As a missionary his exemplar remains in the memory of the many that have been associated with him in Surigao City.

Elder Pastor Torres has recently returned as our new Mission President for the Philippines Butuan Mission which area included his first mission area---Surigao City. I was given the privilege of being his second counsellor. What a wonderful reunion we have after 32 years when he was first assigned in Surigao City as a full-time missionary.

My memory still reminds me of Sister Alcazar, Sister Ariesgado, Sister Bowman, sister Hendrikcs. Sister Bowman told me of her story before she left for a mission. She has a car which she sold to support her mission. It was bought by a Filipino and when the Filipino buyer learned that she will be using the proceeds to serve as a missionary in the Philippines, she was given an additional $2,000.

We have a primary child who experienced night blindness due to heavy infestations of worms and malnourishment. Sister Alcazar and Sister Ariesgado conducted a deworming on the child. Then I assigned them to cook nutritious food each day to be delivered to the child. This they did with diligence and the child was restored to health.

Sister Farnsworth and Sister Anderson while on their way to the investigator passing a muddy descending road suddenly slipped down and have their clothes full of mud. They washed and came to our home still wet and dirty after the experience.  I was surprised though that with such sad experience, they came with glowing and smiling faces.

Never will I forget the two mature welfare sister assigned in the branch where I presided. Sister Bard, a teacher by profession and Sister Heater a medical worker. They were both very humble and benevolent. Once we visited a very sick woman, a member, who was afflicted with a very sore boil. She had a very foul smell that even I and Sister Bard could not withstand. Yet Sister Heater, who was very sympathetic to her condition, entered her room even without a mask and dressed the abscessed pustule.  And she did it several times while we continually visited the family to help them of the medication.  When my wife was operated for a breast cyst, the two went to the hospital and Sister Heater volunteered to assist in the operation. Once when sister Betita was very sick, they came and bring with them food enough for all and eat with us. Aware of the uncertain future of my family, they offered to help me to travel to the U.S.A. to find work, which I readily refused for reason of church service. They had been an inspiration to me and my wife since then and now. They are now stricken in years and somehow weakened by affliction, but their regular communications with me, inspires me and always. What wonderful missionaries they were and how amazing to us are their friendship. Their expressions of love overflowed with sincerity that continually touched our hearts.

Many more good ambassadors of Jesus Christ have been assigned in Surigao City, Philippines which our memory could no longer hold and of whose service we are so grateful.

I do love the missionaries of the church. Their contributions to the spiritual upliftment of the people are incalculable. Their exemplars in righteousness and selfless service are worth emulating.  Their love of people exemplifies the love of the Lord whom they represent as ambassadors of the living Christ.






No comments:

Post a Comment