Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

MY PERSONAL HISTORY: EARLY LOVE STORIES

by: Norberto Betita

Like most of the youths then and now, it is a joy to have early loving relationships. I started courting after graduation from high school. I first have a girl friend from our town during summer vacation immediately after graduation from high school. Then as I started college, I have another girlfriend who also was a native of our place. About a year in the college campus, I met another girl introduced by classmates, and we entered into a relationship.  I also met a young teacher and engaged ourselves in a loving relationship. However, I eventually found a woman who is a great deal different from all of my former girlfriends.


Letty during her early college days
Letty, as she was fondly called, with the real name of Letecia Bullo Sitoy, was a popular coed in the campus, a beautiful ROTC cadet sponsor. She is up-to-date in style. She looks even more beautiful and attractive with her mini-skirt and very short hair. O, how young men desired her company. We were classmates in some college subjects, but it was unlikely for me to even desire for a friendship. She is well-liked and trendy, while my personality seemed to give the impression of a straggler. In all outward aspects I am no match to her. She is widely popular in the campus. By the smartly expression of her outside loveliness, she appeared hard to get along. She was a high school mate, yet never did I have the courage even to ask her of such days gone by if only to open a friendly dialogue. But providential circumstances gave place for our roads to cross, and the unhealthy speculations I have of her personality and character all vanished.

While it is impossible to know all about the character and personality of a person in one quick look or even within an established friendship, it is always important to discover something good about somebody whom you might want to be a part of you. The good in a person generally overlie the undesirable in him. When I and Letty were in a relationship during our college days, almost all his friends except one, classmates, ROTC sponsor adviser, college instructors and her family were against it. Everything they say about is critical of me.  What they see in me are the unattractive view of my person.  They display their unsolicited objections by some kind of rhythm that at times is already hurtful.


Taken at the beach when we were already friends
I am a young man then who fashioned a long hair and beard when the prevailing style was clean-cut military look and a ‘tagalog’ cut. My rugged blue jeans looked brown from dusts for long days of wearing. I generally sport a rubber slipper on campus. Books and notebooks are not part of my off to school cargo while my classmates carried the weight of college books. A pen and scratch bond papers were found sufficient to take notes.  Those were never intended to start a youthful trend or a modern fad or fashion. It was my personal verity. In my distressed circumstances youthful contemporary styles are beyond affordability. Thanks to my dearest Letty. She looked at me from the inside-out. She saw by her unflawed vision my innate character and person, and the many good traits that deep in my heart are hidden. And, for such all the unpleasant picture of my outward looks are for her obscured.

What gratitude I have for Letty that she remained to be true despite all the critical reactions and comments thrown against me. It did not matter to her if they would laugh at her to scorn. She stood strong despite contemptible censure. Hers was indeed an external expression of an innermost commitment to our relationship. For such deep and abiding love I was truly obliged to earnestly reciprocate.





No comments:

Post a Comment