Search This Blog

Saturday, February 15, 2014

MY PERSONAL HISTORY: FORMAL EMPLOYMENTS

by: Norberto Betita

I stopped college and tried to find a job in a newly constructed Nickel Refinery in an island. It was very difficult for me because of my being inexperienced. My cousin who was then the Security Officer of the company instructed me to obtain a Social Security System Identification number by using a false birth date that would appear that I was already 20 years old. During such time the requirement of the Certificate of Live Birth was not strictly enforced, so I easily got the SSS ID. I then applied as Security Guard with endorsement from my cousin. I passed the examinations and was employed.

Generally my work as a security guard required me to perform 12 hours of duty in different areas within the company premises. At times we have to be detailed in areas where we have to be alone the whole night with only a flashlight to counter extreme darkness. The stillness of the night and the penetrating whines of night crickets created fear within my youthful heart. Yet I need to be brave enough to endure each night of fearful duty. At times the serenity of the night became a tempter for a good night sleep, notwithstanding the requirement to be always alert as a guard on duty. A liter or two of pre-mixed hot coffee in a thermos did not seem to even hold my ever tired eyelids. And, when caught sleeping while on duty, I have to suffer the punishment of a month confinement in the security barracks.

When my contract expired after about two years of employment in the company, I went back to mainland Surigao City and worked as security guard with a local security agency and was assigned to perform duties in a crashing plant in my hometown. I have been in such assignment until I married in January 23, 1974.

Since then I have been through several other employments. As I started my new family, I tried to find a better job back into the island Nickel Refinery still as a security guard and was later promoted to senior shift leader and security investigator. I had been paid a good salary of P542.00 a month, and with a four-hour overtime daily I usually get a pay of more than P1,000.00 a “quincina” (bi-monthly).  In 1977 I resigned from the Surigao Nickel Refinery, purposely to continue with my college education. It was a great sacrifice for  me and my family, because from such a good employment, I landed back to becoming a security guard again with a meagre salary of P9.80 per day in the National Irrigation Administration, a government controlled corporation. But it was a blessing for it gave me the opportunity to be able to go back to college. 

While working, I took a Non-Professional Civil Service examination and passed. I eventually graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Banking and Finance from the Northeastern Mindanao Colleges in 1979. I was then promoted to the position of Storekeeper with additional assignment as purchaser and a daily salary of P18.70 per day. After graduation, I took the Civil Service Professional Examinations and passed. Despite my employment, life had been terribly hard. Two children were added in the family and my very meagre salary could not sufficiently support our needs. There came a time when my son, Robert Sherwin was newly born, I had all my money consumed in hospital expenses and not a centavo was left. I walked early to my office with nothing left for my wife to cook for lunch. Finding myself alone in the confines of my office, I kneeled before God and offered a prayer for help. Then I felt assured that all will be well. When I went home at noon, I found good food already on the table. My mother-in-law came with food and some money to keep us through our trials, enough until our next salary is paid. 

Later in the same employment, my honesty and integrity were put to the test. It was at a time when my promotion for a permanent and secured employment was already submitted for approval. My boss submitted to me a reimbursement voucher for my signature. The amount was substantial, but as I reviewed the contents and attachments, I noted that all were spent for his personal use. Hence, I refused to sign the voucher and explained to him the reason. The voucher remained unsigned, until I was informed that the same and all its attachments were torn by my boss himself, while at the same time sending a message to the regional office for the cancellation of my appointment. For obvious reason, I tendered my voluntary resignation, and started to concentrate on my part time job as an insurance sales underwriter.

Insurance selling was difficult at that time and so I tried to find other good opportunities for a better employment. I took an examination with the Allied Bank and passed, but was denied employment due to age limit. I also took and passed the Philippine National Bank competitive examinations held in Cagayan de Oro City. I was assured employment, but it took me a year before being employed, during which time I had to earn a living to provide for the needs of my little children through vegetable gardening. I average P950.00 earnings a month from my vegetable garden, and my basic salary when I finally entered PNB was only P750.00 a month. I was employed by PNB on August 16, 1982 rising from the ranks until my retirement as bank officer in December 31, 2008.


No comments:

Post a Comment